CLickOnce Limitations

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

I converted HD-Trailers.Net Downloader to a ClickOnce application BUT it appears that ClickOnce applications can not be scheduled. ClickOnce applicatio are supposed to be installable without admin permissions and scheduling a task requires admin permissions. It seems you can still ischedule the task by pointing the task scheduler to the HD-Trailers.Net Downloader reference that is listed in the start menu (atleast this works under Win7). The reference is located in C:\Users\I'username'\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I still have a little clean up todo. The first time you run HD-Trailers.Net Downloader, the default configuration file is copied to a more accessible location. This location is also where the exclusions.xml file and the log file are kept. After you run the program the first time, you can edit the HD-Trailers.Net Downloader.config file for your needs. After you have edited the config file, you can add HD-Trailers.Net Downloader as a task so that the trailers are downloaded on schedule.

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2011 at 2:28 PM

That is due to ClickOnce. For security reason, ClickOnce will not allow editing of the files in the install folder. That is one of the reasons it used such an abscure folder name. THis guarantees that the application can be installed with no admin permissions required.

What ends up happening, is ClickOnce detects that the files have been edited and changes the cinfig file back. To get around that, the first time you run HD-Trailers.Net Downloader, it creates a new folder in the more typical location

C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Local\HD-Trailers.Net Downloader (in Windows 7)