Issue with extender

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:02 PM
Hi There,

Firstly, just wanted to say thanks for the plugin it's great and looks superb working in conjunction with Media Browser.

I just wondered if anybody else is experiencing issues watcing the trailers via an mce extender (Linksys DMA2200). Most of the trailers I have downloaded work great but there are a few that throw up an error on MCE stating unable to play video file I then receive the following error on the main Pc "FFmpeg.exe has stopped working" .

I am running a Vista Ultimate Pc as the main server (64bit) and have been using Media Browser for some time, I fail to see how this could be a codec issue when most of the .mov files play withoiut any problems.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Kind Regards
Tylor
Coordinator
Apr 13, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Glad you like it!

I've had similar issues playing some of the .mov on my extender (2200) as well. I looked into converting them after downloading to WMVHD but haven't spent a whole lot of time on it. For the time being, I just watch them on my HTPC. I hear that Windows 7 has more support, so perhaps they'll work better on the extenders down the road. Not sure.
Apr 14, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply Brian,

I will monitor the volume of incompatible files and possibly look to auto convert them.

Kind Regards
Tylor
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Let me know of any patterns you find and I'll see if there is anything I can do in the code to make addressing the issue easier. For example, if you find that all of the problem trailers come from one provider, I could modify the code to allow you to execute a command line app to convert after d/ling from that provider. If you find a bullet-proof method for automatically converting (thinking via command-line), please let me know. I've had a couple issues opening some of the .movs... in those cases, renaming to .avi seems to trick the converter into opening the file.
Apr 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Hi Brian,

I managed to fix the problem using a completely different method....

I read a new thread on the green button which gave advice on updating mencoder.exe and ffmpeg.exe in order to utilise multi-thread transcoding in transacode360. I followed the instructions and also updated a line in the mencoder config.cs file and hey presto I can now view and stream all content including mkv files. Hopefully this will also allow for better performance utilising my quad core processor.

It may have just been the ffmpeg update that resolved the trailer error but if you or your folowing already use transcde360 to stream to an MCE extender then I highly recommned the tweak.

Kind Regards
Tylor
:->
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2009 at 7:46 PM
Could you provide a URL for the specific thread? I'd like to try the exact steps you did. Thanks!
Apr 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM
No problems,I have placed the link below...

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/340539.aspx

I have been using Transcode360 for sometime now and have been looking for a performance increase after upgrading my main Pc, really glad it has dne the trick.

Regards
Tylor