Any way to not download documentary trailers?

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I was wondering if there is a way to not download documentary trailers. Seeing as there is a feature to only download trailers (and not specials, featurettes, etc), I am hoping there is a way to enable this function. The app works perfectly, only I find alot of the trailers I'm downloading to be documentaries, which I hate.

A second option would be if anyone knows which domains tend to have documentaries so I can blacklist them, but then I run the risk of missing actual movie trailers.

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Looking at the HD Trailers Blog Web page what is unique about documentary trailers?

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:05 AM
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. I see many of them are from Apple, but some are also from Yahoo (from my quick scan).
Coordinator
Jan 13, 2011 at 1:06 AM

HD-Trailers.NET downloader works by downloading the trailers listed in this RSS feed. When you select TrailersOnly, it only downloads Trailers where Trailer shows uop in the title.

http://feeds.hd-trailers.net/hd-trailers/blog

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:10 AM
I'm aware of how that works. That doesn't help me to prevent the downloading of documentary trailers. I was hoping there would be a way to select particular genre rss feeds and use those, instead of the all-genre main rss feed it uses by default.
Jan 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM
Looks like they only have one rss feed. They have categories for their webpage, but only 1 rss feed. I'm guessing that means genre-specific downloading is not possible.
Coordinator
Jan 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM

That is correct. But HD-Trailers.Net Downloader could be restricted to only (Trailers) so that would possibly limit multiple trailers for a single movie.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2011 at 7:53 PM

actually, you can get feeds from all the separate categories.
just go to the category, and type in 'feed' at the end of the URL.

for example:
http://blog.hd-trailers.net/category/movies/fantasy/feed or http://blog.hd-trailers.net/category/movies/comedy/feed

what i would like to do is download all the trailers into appropriate genre folders, so i could have my trailers organized by genre. so if i was going to watch an action flick, i could just grab a couple random trailers out of my /trailers/action dir. this would especially be good for the kids.

for example: if i have my system set up to play 2 random trailers out of the trailers dir, and i know the movie coming up is a kids/family/animation movie, it would be great if it picks trailers from those genres. i don't think it'd go over to well to show them the trailer for the newest upcoming slasher film right before they watch toy story :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Does the program allow for multiple feeds? The documentation for the program simply says "feed"...so I wonder if there is anyway I could add all the feeds except for documentaries??

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I didn't realize that the feeds were available for each category. That is great!.

I am on the road this week but will look into adding this.

Question: What about trailers that are tagged for 2  or more different genres. (i.e. Action, Comedy)

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM

k2lounge wrote:

for example: if i have my system set up to play 2 random trailers out of the trailers dir, and i know the movie coming up is a kids/family/animation movie, it would be great if it picks trailers from those genres. i don't think it'd go over to well to show them the trailer for the newest upcoming slasher film right before they watch toy story :)

How are you watching the trailers before the movie? Are you using a program (such as XBMC Cinema Experience) or are you doing it manually? 

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I believe k2lounge was talking about what he would hypothetically like to hapepn.

As far multiple genres, it looks like they re-list movies in the multiple feeds. Unless there would be a way for the program to tag each trailer with multiple genres AND have Cinema Experience look for tags within the trailers that match the movie being played, it looks like getting that specific would be tough to do.

I'm not a programmer so I can't say for certain. But doesn't Cinemas experiene always pick trailers based on the MPAA Rating of the movie? That would prevent a slasher gore trailer from preceding Toy Story...

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I believe it does restrict Trailers based on the MPAA (although I have not used confirmed that). Perhaps we could use the same mechanism used with the MPAA rating to select the genre

If we could specify several feeds, the trailer hashcodes that are stored in a file should prevent downloading a trailer multiple times.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Is it possible to limit the downloading of trailers for each movie by movie alone? For example, currently it will download files like:

"Paul (Theatrical Trailer)

Paul (Trailer No. 1)

Paul (Teaser Trailer)"

I don't need or want multiple trailers for a single film. I think it would be great if that could become an option. 

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Would it be sufficient to limit it to (Theatrical Trailers) only?

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Absolutely...Theatrical Trailers only would be perfect!

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Enable the StrictTrailer config option

<

/>

This will result in HDTrailerDownlodwer only downloading Trailers tagged as "(Trailer)"

add key="StrictTrailersOnly" value = "true"

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:32 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM
soundbytegfx wrote:

I believe k2lounge was talking about what he would hypothetically like to hapepn.

As far multiple genres, it looks like they re-list movies in the multiple feeds. Unless there would be a way for the program to tag each trailer with multiple genres AND have Cinema Experience look for tags within the trailers that match the movie being played, it looks like getting that specific would be tough to do.

I'm not a programmer so I can't say for certain. But doesn't Cinemas experiene always pick trailers based on the MPAA Rating of the movie? That would prevent a slasher gore trailer from preceding Toy Story...

yes, that is how i would theoretically like it to happen. 

picking by MPAA rating would be a good start, but i think it would be better to see trailers in the same genre.

i know the theater i worked at, we'd pick trailers based upon genre. having a R rated slasher gore trailer before a R rated comedy really doesn't seem to match.

i wasn't looking for the program to tag trailers with genres, i was thinking the program would download trailers to specific folders based upon the feed category from the hd-trailers site. that's how i'm doing it manually now. i have 9 instances of this app all in different dir's based upon genre, and all with separate config files to set which hd-trailers genre category it downloads. and all targeting different dir's to write to. then those dir's are all displayed in media browser. the trailers really aren't all that big, so i'm not overly concerned about downloading the same trailer into multiple dir's.

as for how i'm watching, currently i'm doing it manually from within media browser, but they are working on a plugin to automatically play trailers from specified dir's before the movie begins.

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2011 at 2:04 AM

So I guess you are downloading the same trailer multiple times as they show up in the different genre based feeds.

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM
ijourneaux wrote:

So I guess you are downloading the same trailer multiple times as they show up in the different genre based feeds.

yes, i sure am. but as i said, they aren't all that big, so no worries.

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM

The RSS feed has the Genres the movie is tagged with so I could copy them to a specific folder or folders. Thay way they would only get downloaded once. I am working with the XBMC Home Cinema Experience script to come up with at way to tag the movies with Genre and MPAA rating probably using an NFO file for each movie. I I implement that, we could explicitly filter trailers for specific Genres.

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2011 at 5:34 AM

I think I have this setup now to allow you to specify the genres that you want to download. There are 3 new config options .see the downloads

<!--Set to True to create an XBMC style movie Nfo file. This is accomplished by doing a lookup on IMDB

-->

<add key="CreateXBMCNfoFile" value="true"

<!--only download trailers for specific movie Genres (all, drama, comedy, action, etc) -->

<add key="IncludedGenres" value="Comedy / Drama"

/>

<!--exclude trailers for specific movie Genres (all, drama, comedy, action, etc)

-->

<add key="ExcludeGenres" value="Documentary"

/>

Also a few bug fixes.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Edited Mar 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM

A question about  HD-Trailer.Net Downloader Mar 5 2011, Beta

Is it possible that it is somehow "hardcoded" to download to G:/Trailers? (I'm using WinXP SP3 - user name Alec)

I had not updated since before the introduction of the ClickOnce Installer. I also hadn't seen the use of the xxx.application installer.

Previously, I had HD-Trailers.NET executable and associated files located at D:\Program Files\not_installed (ie. programs that don't create entries in Add/Remove programs).

I had the HD-Trailers.Net Downloader.exe.config pointing to F:\P2P-Scrape\HD-Trailers.NET

Now it appears that the install location is hard-coded to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\K9M4NAQJ.313\5KEVWVER.Y9P\hd-t..tion_d65218158d8958ea_0001.0000_4c12f9ce595e339a with hardlink from the HD-Trailers.Net Downloader.exe.config there to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\K9M4NAQJ.313\5KEVWVER.Y9P\hd-t...exe_d65218158d8958ea_0001.0000_none_8970dde14c05f78f\HD-Trailers.Net Downloader.exe.config

As installed both key="TrailerDownloadFolder" and key="MetadataDownloadFolder" point to G:/Trailers. I changed both to point to my desired location: F:\P2P-Scrape\HD-Trailers.NET.

However after making these changes and running HD-Trailers.Net Downloader.exe from the new installed location trailers (and metadata) are still being saved in G:/Trailers. 

... Later ... it appears that either a different location for the exe.config file is being used or the program is ignoring it totally and using an internal "default" copy since I had set two other options - don't close cmd window when done (but the window *WAS* closed and don't use a post exe processor but the log file indicates it tried to use it and could not find it (not surprising since I don't have any such file: key="Executable" value="D:\Tools Storage\growlnotify\growlnotify.com"

see log of my first run at: http://pastebin.com/qnD1dGjT

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM

That is due to ClickOnce. For security reason, ClickOnce will not allow editing of the files in the install folder. That is one of the reasons it used such an abscure folder name.  THis guarantees that the application can be installed with no admin permissions required. I don't want to defend ClickOnce as I am learning how to use it as I go. It does have some nice features.

What ends up happening, is ClickOnce detects that the files have been edited and changes the cinfig file back. To get around that, the first time you run HD-Trailers.Net Downloader, it creates a new folder in the more typical location

C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Local\HD-Trailers.Net Downloader (in Windows 7)

C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Local Settings\Application Data\HD-Trailers.Net Downloader (in WinXP)

After that first execution, it uses the config file in that location. THis is also where the exclusions.xml file and log file are located. Here is the line from the log file

2011-03-06 06:56:57  - LocalAppData: C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Local Settings\Application Data\HD-Trailers.Net Downloader

As soon as I have time I will create a version without ClickOnce. The config file used by the application will remain in the same location.