Some trailer DLs not completing

May 2, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Hi,

 

First a massive thanks for this program. Amazing work. Coupled with Cinema experience in XBMC this is really a home-theater dream.

 

One problem I have is that  a few trailers do no complete downloading, but are still saved and named according to the -config instructions.

I don't know why the DLs don't complete - could well be a problem with my connection. However, it would be nice in those events if the downloaded file was discarded or retried. This would ensure that the incomplete trailers aren't selected by the Cinema Experience script.

Would there be any way for your program to check the expected file size and then compare the final file-size before moving onto the next trailer / completing operation. Then any "finished" downloads with the wrong size could be deleted / re-downloaded.

 

Thanks so much! 

Coordinator
May 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I suspect it must be your connection. HD-Trailer.net Downloader will actually restart the download of trailers that weren't completed for any reason. I just restart HD-Trailer.net downloader and it will attempt to complete any downloads that were terminated early.

Perhaps it would make sense to use a temporary filename until the download is completed. When the download completes successfully, rename the file to its final name.

May 3, 2011 at 3:59 AM

Yeah, I'm sure it is my connection. I don;t think the problem is very bad any more - especially now that I have changed "use exclusions " to false. That way when HD-Trailer.net Downloader autoruns every night it will re-download any trailer with the wrong filesize right?

 

With this set up I hope I won't notice the problem anymore, however the temporary filename solution would be much more elegant if automated. Do you think it would be mossible to write that into the program as an option?

 

Thanks very much :)

Coordinator
May 4, 2011 at 3:18 AM

It shouldn't require use exclusions. An entry is only made in the exclusion table when the trailer is successfully downloaded.  What I think is happening (and I haven't got access to the code as I am on the rad) is that HD-Trailer.Net Downloader is leaving partially downloaded trailers in the folder  that shouldn't be used to by HCE or other application. If you had immediately run HD-Trailer.Net Downloader again, it is likely that it would complete all of the incomplete downloads (barring continued download problems).

The idea of using a temporary filename until the download is completed should not be difficult to implement.

Take Care

May 18, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Hi,

I'm still having the odd trailer not complete its download. By not using exclusions I can ensure that the trailer will be re-downloaded the next day if incomplete so the chances of Cinema Experience picking an incomplete one is now pretty low.

 

However...if there was any chance of the "temporary filename until download is completed" feature being written into your script that would be amazing. 

It would even work for me if the -trailer suffix was only added after download is complete - that way Cinema Experience would only chose the complete ones.

 

Thanks so much :)

Coordinator
May 18, 2011 at 1:27 PM

THe temp fle is on my list. I will try to get to it this week. What happens if you rerun HD-Trailer.Net Downloader a second time? Does the incomplete trailer resume downloading?

May 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Yup, if your program is rerun it will resume the incomplete download. (Use exclusions is disabled)

That makes he problem pretty minimal as the chances of happening upon one of the incomplete ones between scheduled runs is relatively small (although still possible, especially if the sched. task doesn't run for several days leading to the incomplete trailer NOT being redownloaded.

 

BTW I identified the cause of the incomplete downloads. The task runs every day at 4:am for me. However with utottrent maxing out my poor bandwidth, the trailers were still downloading every morning around 8:30 when I move the laptop away from it's wired home and onto a wirelss connection (outside). This change in connections, although instantaneous, was causing the script to stop running.

Coordinator
May 27, 2011 at 2:38 AM
Edited May 27, 2011 at 2:57 AM

When you have a chance, try out the latest beta, If I have done this correctly trailers that are in the process of being downloaded should have ".tmp" appended to the file name. When completely downloaded, the file will be renamed to the correct name.

Sorry it took so long to get this done.

May 27, 2011 at 7:13 AM

No worries at all... So grateful to you for creating/ updating this whenever you have time.

Anyway, running the new beta now and pleased to report that it seems to be running exactly as desired. Downloads still resume if they were previously interrupted, and the .tmp append is smoothly removed upon completion.

Beautiful - thank you!

Coordinator
May 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Good to hear!