Duplicate trailer downloads ("theatrical trailer" and "trailer")

May 28, 2011 at 4:37 AM

Quick question:

Lately I have been finding several trailers that get downloaded twice by the script, due to one being called "trailer" and one being titled "theatrical trailer".

I have no problems with various different trailers for the same film being downloaded (eg. moviename trailer 1, and moviename trailer 2 or moviename trailer teaser) but most/all of the time the trailer named "moviename (theatrical trailer)" is identical to that labeled simply "moviename (trailer)"

Anything clever you can think of to prevent these duplicate downloads?

Thanks as always for this essential program :)

Coordinator
May 28, 2011 at 11:35 AM

You could enable the Strict trailers only flag in the config file

<add key="StrictTrailersOnly" value = "true"/>

that should download only trailers tagged as (Trailer)

May 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Yeah, that would work....only problem is that I would then miss out on any trailers tagged "teaser trailer" and maybe also "trailer 2" etc....? 

Coordinator
May 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Can you confirm that (Trailer) and (Theatrical Trailer) are identical? If they are,  I could test the file size just as I do to resume downloads.

May 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Problem is, from my experience, filesize is marginally different but the content is the same... Thanks for looking into this :)

(Can post example films if ness)

Coordinator
May 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM

What about the No.1 No.2 etc. This is easy to do but I would just like to come up with a more robust way to handle the situation you describe. If it sufficient to not download theatrical trailers? What if the only trailer released is the theatrical trailer (Given how many trailers each movie has, I am guessing this is unlikely <grin>)

Take Care

May 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Well, it's just a personal preference of course, but i have no problem with multiple trailers for the same movie if each trailer is different. Likewise if the only trailer released for a movie is tagged "theatrical trailer", of course I'd still want it.

So far, the only time the exact same content is downloaded seems to be when one is called "theatrical trailer" and the other is called just "trailer".

I suppose it might be possible that sometimes trailer no.1 might be the same as "theatrical trailer" too. I don;t think so , But I'd really have to test more to be sure.

Coordinator
May 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Let me think about it some. Worst case would be a flag to skip Theatrical Trailer.

Coordinator
May 29, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Wish I had a better way of doing it. Elected to depreciate the StrictTrailersOnly setting so it is nolonger used (It has been disabled for the last few versions andway). I also added two config settings SkipTheatricalTrailers and SkipTeaserTrailers. Hope this gets you waht you need.

May 29, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Thanks a lot for the effort. Problem with SkipTheatricalTrailers is that these may sometimes be the only available trailer for a movie.

I'd rather DL two identical trailers for some movies than miss out on some trailers altogether.

Probably too complicated to be worth the hassle, but the only perfect solution would be to SkipTheatricalTrailer only if plain (Trailer) is already present for the same movie. Don't know if this would be a nightmare/ impossible to code though. 

Really not a big deal though - even when you go to the movies you sometimes see a trailer you've already seen!

Thanks again :) 

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I believe I have got the solution. There is a new configuration key called

<!--For Exclusions, consider Trailers and Theatrical Trailers identical -->

<add key="TrailersIdenticaltoTheatricalTrailers" value = "true"

/> 

This does exactly what it says, for the purposes of exclusions, treat Trailers identical to Theatrical Trailers.

Let me know if it works for you. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Sounds perfect - thanks so much for your work on this...

I won't be able to confirm it's working 100% until I let it do it's thing for a while and confirm no further duplicates - I'll get back to you in a week or so.

Cheers!

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Well this seems to be working exactly as intended...awesome!

Only problem is the discovery that "Trailer No 1", seems to usually be the same too...(ie "trailer" = theatrical trailer" = "trailer No 1")...

In addition I have seen (trailer 3) and (trailer No 3) for the same movie, and those too are indetical. Presumably the same might be true for "trailer 2".

As a result, I am still seeing trailers I've already seen in XBmC Cinema Experience more often than should be necessary.

Do you think the easiest solution might be to ensure that only one trailer can exist for each movie? Teasers could be the only allowed duplicate if they are enabled in the config file?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I should be able to extend the logic I used to accomplish what you are looking for.

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM
Edited Jun 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I should be able to extend the logic I used to accomplish what you are looking for. I am leaving on business for a couple of weeks so it will be a while before I can get to it. Maybe a flag t that does <OnlyOneTrailerperMovie>

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Sounds great whenever you get the chance - personally the one duplicate I would allow would be for one movie to have both a teaser and a full trailer.

These teasers are sufficiently different and it would be a shame to see the teaser for a big new release, but then not have the full trailer download when it is released later.

Anyway - have a great trip :)

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:53 AM

I'm having the same trouble at present, so many trailers are released multiple times, and seem to be almost identical when you watch them. Eg, "Good Neighbors (Theatrical Trailer)", "Good Neighbours (Trailer No 1)", "Good Neighbors (Trailer)", etc.

I've got the StrictTrailersOnly value set to true, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. But then I noticed that you said you have disabled that feature?

Can I use TrailersIdenticaltoTheatricalTrailers option? Or do I need a new version of the program? The latest on the site still seems to be from April. How do you make new options available without releasing a new version?

Anyway, I think what you discussed above about only allowing one trailer for each movie might be the best solution if it is possible to do.

Cheers,

Zolt

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2011 at 4:01 AM

To use the option

TrailersIdenticaltoTheatricalTrailers you will need the latest version. Make sure you are editing the correct config file. I disabled the StrictTrailersOnly as it doesn't communicate what is going on as well as the choices. 

I hope to add the "OnlyOneTrailerPerMovie" flag shortly probably by the end of the week. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:13 AM
Edited Jun 22, 2011 at 4:13 AM
ijourneaux wrote:

I hope to add the "OnlyOneTrailerPerMovie" flag shortly probably by the end of the week. 

Awesome! Do you think that "teaser trailers" could be made an exception to this? Reason being is that sometimes a big new release may have a teaser trailer which is fun to see to build up anticipation, but then one would also want to see the actual trailer when it is eventually released several weeks later...

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Thanks ijourneaux, the "OnlyOneTrailerPerMovie" flag would be awesome. As kiboy6 suggested, if it would still be possible to get teasers as well though, that would be great, but appreciate it might not be that easy.

Cheers,

Zolt

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2011 at 1:42 AM
Edited Jun 27, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Ok. New config flag.

<!--Consider Theatrical and Numbered Trailers as Identical

-->

<add key="ConsiderTheatricalandNumberedTrailersasIdentical" value = "true"

/> 

FOr the purposes of Exculsions only Teaser Trailer and one Trailer (named Trailer, Theatrical Traler Trailer No. 1, Trailer 1, Trailer No. 2, etc) will be downloaded.

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Thanks again for all your work on this, really appreciate it. Before we can use this new feature, do we need to wait for you to release a new beta version? Also, when using this feature should we remove or set certain other flags to false? Ie, the "TrailersIdenticaltoTheatricalTrailers", should that be removed from the config or set to false? Will it clash with the new flag?

Cheers,
Zolt

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2011 at 4:34 AM
Edited Jun 27, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Version 1.86 is uploaded. There shouldn't be any clashes with the older flags but some of the older flags might become meaningless. I ran through todays trailers and it seemed to work correctly but let me know if there is an issue.

One thing I didn't handled is the case where there might be multiple teasers. I might have to come back and deal with that. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Hi ijourneaux, I installed the new version yesterday and made sure the flags were set, etc. After letting it run overnight, it seems a duplicate has been downloaded. I already had "Fading of the Cries (Theatrical Trailer)" which was downloaded on the 26th, and last night "Fading of the Cries (Trailer No 1)" was downloaded as well. Any ideas why that might have happened?

In my config I have the following options set:

<add key="TrailersOnly" value = "true"/>

<add key="StrictTrailersOnly" value = "true"/>

<add key="TrailersIdenticaltoTheatricalTrailers" value = "true"/>

<add key="SkipTheatricalTrailers" value = "false"/>

<add key="ConsiderTheatricalandNumberedTrailersasIdentical" value = "true"/>

<add key="SkipTeaserTrailers" value = "false"/>

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2011 at 11:54 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I was going to answer confdence then realized I may have missed something. Let me check it out ad get back.

--------

OK. It shoudl work the way I thought it would. The exculsions list is built as the trailers are downloaded so this will only work for new trailers that are downloaded. So here is how it works,: If the flag is set to true, then for the purposes of exclusions, Trailer Number 1, Trailer, Theatrical Trailer are all renamed to Trailer. This doesn't affect the actual name of the trailer, just the name used for exclusions.

Using your trailer as an example, "Fading of the Cries (Theatrical Trailer)" was downloaded with the old version of HD-Trailer.net Downlaoder so the name recorded in the excusions file is "Fading of the Cries (Theatrical Trailer)" so anything that doesn't match that expecitly will be downloaded. Yesterday when "Fading of the Cries (Trailer No 1)" was downloaded, the name recorded in the exclusion file was "Fading of the Cries (Trailer)". From now on the only additional trailer that will be downloaded potentially is "Fading of the Cries (Teaser Trailer)".

Hope this makes sense. As this point in time, the exclusions list is never rebuilt. perhaps that might be worth doing at some point. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Ah ok I think I understand. So over time it should work itself out as it adds more movies with the (Trailer) tag into the exclusions list. I can see last night I had more duplicates downloaded, eg, "The Killer Elite (Trailer No 1)", "Captain America The First Avenger (Trailer No 3)", etc. But checking the exclusions list I can see it has now added those in as "The Killer Elite (Trailer)", "Captain America: The First Avenger (Trailer)", etc.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Oops, forgot to check in on this for a while....awesome to see the new version....the exclusions method for duplicates is perfect now - thanks so much ijourneaux :)

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2011 at 4:30 PM

kiboy6. Thanks for the confirmation that it works for you.