SMTP Config - Need to authenticate and use Port #

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I'd like to submit a request to add the ability to use my SMTP authentication and also use a special port #.

My provider requires that I use my credentials to authenticate against the SMTP server and also it uses a non-default SMTP port. Any way that can added to the Config xml please?

Or is there a way to do this now and I just haven't figured it out yet?

Awesome tool though! Using it to download trailers for XBMC - Another great open-source product!

Thanks!

Mark

Port Saint Lucie, FL

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM

SMTP in HD-Trailers.Net would only be used to email your self a copy of the information that is in the log file as HD-Trailers.Net executes. The authentication had been disabled before I got involved in the project but getting the authentication to works would seem to be straightforward. THis is one of the features I never use so never tested.

I will look at it and see what might be possible.

Take Care

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Took a brief look at this. Making the port user specified in the config file was easy and I have exposed it in a prototype user config file. I am alittle less comfortable adding the user account and password to the config file as that would expose your password. Since the application is meant to be run on a scheduled basis, it never has the opportunity to prompt for the users credentials. ame arguement for passing the username and password via the commandline. If run as a scheduled task, the username and password would have to be added to the task configuration.

I suppose, I could add the username and password to the config file and warn that this is not a secure method.

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Take a look at Version 1.95. It should have the config parameters required to make it work for you. Let me know if it works for you.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Thanks! Just had a brief moment to check the discussion here. I'm heading out the door now but will try at v1.95 later today and post back my results. I understand the concern about the credentials. I manage my own mail accounts and mail server so I can create an account specifically for this purpose and not worry too much if the credentials do get leaked. Thanks again for working on this! Much appreciated!

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:14 AM

I just tested it. Works fantastic!

I also experimented with Growl for Windows and that works but doesn't include the trailer titles and status like the email notification provides. So, the email directly from HD-Trailers.Net Downloader is much better for my personal use.

Thanks for the amazingly quick turnaround on this!

Thanks again & Happy Trailers!
Mark 

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2011 at 4:06 AM
Edited Aug 29, 2011 at 4:10 AM

Most of the stuff was there but disabled so re-enabling and adding the extra parameters was easy. I will take a look at Growl as I am surprized it isn't behaving the same.

Could you send me a copy of the growl output?

PS Looking at the code again, Growl is doing what it is suppose to do. Just a status message at the end of the run. I am not that familar with Growl.. I am sure there are many ways to make it work but if the email is getting the job done then so be it.